Vol Fire Department on call schedule

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
jpack
Vol Fire Department on call schedule

I am trying to set up a signup sheet for a volunteer firefighter on call sign up that would run from 7am-7am the next morning. Is there anyway to create a prompt that has a certain time range in it? if not im looking for any ideas that would help me with this.

Thanks

michelle
Creating Shifts

Apologies for the late response.

There are a couple ways you can accomplish this:

1. Creating shifts within a task that cover the time range, or
  2. Creating a prompt where volunteers can select the time range

For the first option, you can create separate slots for the number of volunteers, and put the times of the shifts in the Column or Row header, depending on how you want your task to be laid out. To do this, go to the Signup Sheet Design tab, create your task, and then add columns or rows to reflect how many shifts you would like your volunteers to sign up for. Then, put in how many volunteers you would need for each shift by using the Edit Slot button. To put the time of the shift, you can either click on Edit Column Header or Edit Row Header. Put in the Start and End times for the shift and then click Ok. Make sure to save your changes when you have finished.

For the second option, go into the Settings tab, Prompts sub-tab and create a new prompt. Label it to reflect what you want your volunteers to choose, in this case "Shift choice" or something similar would work. Then choose the dropdown menu type. Then input the options for shifts you would like your volunteers to choose from, separating each choice with a comma. Once you have created your prompt, make sure to save your changes. You can view your volunteers' choices by running a One Slot Per Row report and showing all custom prompts.

I hope this was helpful and sorry again for the delay.

Michelle

jpack
Thanks Michelle and no need

Thanks Michelle and no need to apologize. I played around with it and figured out a way that it would work

Thanks again

boeding
option 2

I like the option 2 idea except how do you let the user or yourself know whether a shift is full, except by running a report? Assume 3 shifts for 1 role with 10 slots/shift each. My users find my form too complex and I'm seeking ways to make it less overwhelming as I have many 6 tasks, 3 shifts, many roles and many variable volunteers needed per shift per role.

Brian

michelle
In the example above there

In the example above there are no set shift hours, just a time-frame that needed to be filled. This is where having a custom prompt (the second option described) would make it easier for volunteers to assign themselves to a certain set of hours, without knowing a specific shift time.

If there are specific shift hours set up, or a shorter time-frame for a shift, it would likely be easier for both your volunteers and yourself to set up specific shift hours on your Signup Sheet, as described in the 1st option above. 

I took a look at the signup sheet you have and I think it should work pretty well -- one thing you could consider is setting it up so your shifts are your "Rows" and your different roles are your "Columns" within your signup sheet. You can easily change this by expanding the "More Task Options" in the Signup Sheet Design tab and clicking on the "Pivot Task" button. This will swap your columns and Rows while keeping your information intact.

Michelle

boeding
popup question management

Michelle, Thanks. The current layout we have does not work well for us. I tried the pivot idea and since some of my tasks have many jobs, it now makes for a very wide page, which I think does not work so well either. I still like the idea of having the variable time-frames as select menus in the popup. It would make the mobile version, much more usable. However iVolunteer does not currently provide a way for me to limit the number of users per time-frame per job nor track it based on the popup choices. Please add this feature. Also hope you can add some of the other suggestions I made last year. I'd like to stay using your tool.

boeding
popup question management

The challenge with the popup questions also will be that they are the same across an event, not across a task. So if Task a has shifts 8-12, 12-3, 3-6 and task B just has 7-12, 12-3 then this approach would fail unless the select menu options were customizable by subtask.

michelle
If you find your event is

If you find your event is running out of space for all your tasks and shifts, you may want to consider breaking it out into smaller events by Task. What I mean by this is taking one task with a large number of duties, or shifts, and making it into its own event. This may solve some of your sizing issues. Then your volunteers can go to your Organization Home Page -- whether it's your Primary Home Page, or another separate home page you create just for the entire Event, with each sub-section listed as an Event on that home page.

You could even add a short description of the type of tasks listed within each smaller event, which would show up on your Event Display if your setting for that is one of the "Table" options. These can be found at the very bottom of your Home Pages tab in the Organization menu -- located directly below the text field for each home page.